The Ag-Cat is a standout amongst the best reason composed horticultural airship yet assembled and has been in practically constant creation since 1959.
Grumman created the G-164 Ag-Cat biplane in the mid-1950s, with the model making its lady flight on May 27, 1957. In the range of 400 starting G-164 Ag-Cats were conveyed from 1959, with an open cockpit, and fitted with a mixed bag of 165-335kw (220-450hp) outspread motors including the 165kw (220hp) Continental W-670-6n, the 180kw (240hp) Gulf Coast W-670-240, the 185kw (245hp) Jacobs L4, or 205 or 225kw (275 or 300hp) Jacobs motors.
The G-164a took after. In its fundamental A/450 structure it was fueled by a 335kw (450hp) Pratt & Whitney R-985 and offered a more noteworthy most extreme takeoff weight and extra fuel. The A/600 is comparative other than its 450kw (600hp) R-1340 motor. The G-164b/450 is focused around the A/450 however with expanded compass wings, while the B/525 is controlled by a 390kw (525hp) Continental/Page R-975.
The more extended fuselage 450kw (600hp) R-1340 controlled G-164c/600 in the meantime structures the premise for the Pratt & Whitney Canada Pt6a fueled Turbo Ag-Cat D.
Late models incorporate the 450kw (600hp) R-1340 fueled Ag-Cat Super B/600 and the Pt6a controlled Ag-Cat Super B Turbine (different Pt6a models are offered running from 375 to 560kw (680 to 750shp).
After the two models, Grumman subcontracted Schweizer to fabricate all the Ag-Cats for them. After Grumman American was framed in 1973, obligation regarding the Ag-Cat was exchanged to the new organization. In 1978 the organization was renamed Gulfstream American. In January 1981 Schweizer purchased the outline and showcasing rights, and was present exclusively in charge of the Ag-Cat program. In 1995 Schweizer sold the Ag-Cat’s assembling rights to the Ag-Cat Corp of Malden, Missouri who have assembled a little number of flying machine. Ethiopian Airlines has assembled 11 G-164b Ag-Cat Super B Turbines under permit as the Eshet, controlled by Pratt & Whitney Pt6a-34ag turbines.
- Country: United States of America
- Type: Biplane agricultural aircraft
- Powerplants: G-164A Super Ag-Cat – One 335kW (450hp) Pratt & Whitney R-985 series nine cylinder radial piston engine, driving a two blade constant speed propeller. G-164B Ag-Cat Super B Turbine – Choice of 373kW (500shp) Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-11AG, or 510kW (680shp) PT6A-15AG, or 560kW (750shp) PT6A-34AG turboprops, driving a three blade constant speed prop.
- Performance: G-164A – Max speed 237km/h (128kt), typical working speed range 130 to 160km/h (70 to 86kt). The initial rate of climb 1080ft/min. Super B Turbine with PT6A-15AG – Working speed 210km/h (113kt). Range with max fuel 318km (172nm).
- Weights: G-164A – Empty equipped for spraying 1220kg (2690lb), max certificated takeoff 2040kg (4500lb). Super B Turbine – Empty equipped for spraying 1429kg (3150lb), max takeoff 3184kg (7020lb).
- Dimentions: G-164A – Wing span 10.95m (35ft 11in), length 7.11m (23ft 4in), height 3.27m (10ft 9in). Wing area 20.5m2 (328sq ft). Super Turbine B – Wing span upper 12.92m (42ft 5in), lower 12.36m (40ft 7in); length 8.41m (27ft 8in), height 3.68m (12ft 1in). Wing area 36.5m2 (392.7sq ft).
- Capacity: Usually pilot only. Hopper capacity 1514 liters (400US gal/333Imp gal). Some converted with a second cockpit for joy flights.
- Production: Schweizer built 2628 under contract for Grumman between 1959 and 1979, including more than 400 G-164s, 1330 G-164As, and 832 G-164Bs. Also built under license in Ethiopia.